David Lat is a lawyer turned writer, speaker, and legal recruiter. He is the founding editor of Above the Law (“ATL”), the nation’s largest legal news website, which reaches more than one million unique visitors a month. His writing has also appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post, among other publications.
Prior to ATL, David launched Underneath Their Robes (“UTR”), a buzz-generating blog about federal judges that he wrote under a pseudonym while working as a federal prosecutor. In November 2005, he revealed his identity as UTR’s author in an interview with Jeffrey Toobin of the New Yorker magazine.
David’s first book, Supreme Ambitions: A Novel, was published in 2014 to rave reviews. According to the New York Times, “for an elite niche — consisting largely of federal judges and their clerks — Supreme Ambitions has become the most buzzed-about novel of the year.”
Before entering the media world, David worked as a federal prosecutor in Newark, New Jersey; a litigation associate at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, in New York; and a law clerk to Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. David graduated from Regis High School, where he participated actively in speech and debate and was a national champion in extemporaneous speaking; Harvard College, magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, where he wrote an opinion column for the Harvard Crimson; and Yale Law School, where he served as an editor of the Yale Law Journal and was a finalist in the Morris Tyler Moot Court of Appeals competition.
In his free time, David enjoys reading (primarily fiction and law-related nonfiction), film, theater, exercise, and running (a two-time New York City Marathon finisher). He lives in New York with his husband and son.
Awards and Recognition
- In 2009, the ABA Journal, the flagship publication of the American Bar Association, named David to its inaugural class of “Legal Rebels,” a group of 50 of the legal profession’s leading innovators.
- In 2011, he was named to the first class of the Fastcase 50, “the law’s smartest, most courageous innovators, techies, visionaries, and leaders.”
- In 2013, David was honored by the American Lawyer as one of “The Top 50 Innovators in Big Law in the Last 50 Years.”
- During David’s time as managing editor of Above the Law (2006-2017), the site received numerous awards, including recognition by the Weblog Awards (Best Law Blog), the ABA Journal Blawg 100 (Best News Blog), and the Webby Awards (Official Honoree).
- In 2009, a cover story he co-authored (with Kashmir Hill and Marisa Kashino) for Washingtonian magazine was a finalist for the Dateline Award in magazine feature writing, awarded by the D.C. chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).
Contact and Connect
(For issues relating to Above the Law, please contact the current editors by email, at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
@ 2019 Lat Legal Advisors LLC